Vocab note: buddies vs friends

Dear All,


you have just asked me about the difference b/w "buddies" and "friends" I've found the following answer: They are basically interchangeable... mostly depends on context. Here's some generalizations though:

Friend: You usually use this to refer to a friend to another person. Ex. "I would like you to meet my friend, George."
Buddy: Used like friend ("this is my buddy, George"). Can be friendly (usually used with pets or kids). Ex. "Hey Buddy! How was your soccer game?" .. or angry Ex. "Watch it buddy! You spill your beer on me again and I'm gonna kick your ass!"
Mate: We don't say this in America.
Dude: Teenagers/young adults use this more often. Ex. "Duuuuuude, we're, like, almost out of weed." Otherwise I hear it a lot when people are mad at a friend. Ex. "Dude! You made out with my girlfriend! That's not cool..." Or when you are excited Ex. "Dude! You won Lady Gaga tickets?? Aaaand you're taking me with you?? I love you, man!"


https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/difference-between-friend-buddy-mate-dude.2179697/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-12: Thesis statement writing practice

Post 4: Taboos & Issues: Abortion